Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cunningham Family History - Let's Work Together

Many of us are working on Cunningham family history (or genealogy) or would like to start. It would be nice if we could share information so we don't duplicate our efforts. I'd like to make the gedcom file available that Naomi and I have been working on over the past several years to anyone who wants it. Several years ago Naomi was able to talk grandma into letting her borrow her precious and valuable family history books and get the information out of them and into the computer. There are approximately 8,000 names on it currently.

If you're wondering what a gedcom file is and feel intimidated about it. Let me explain how it works. You download a program such as Personal Ancestral File (PAF) from the church website for free or you can purchase a program of your own. This program allows you to input information about your family such as name, birth, death, ordinance work. In order to share this information with others you make a special file. This file is called a gedcom file. It makes it possible for any family history program (like PAF) to share information back and forth. It makes the program match up.

I have several detailed e-mails I have sent to friends and family on how to download PAF and how to send and receive gedcom files. It's not difficult at all. It's just easier with instruction.

If you have been interested in family history and don't know where to begin let's start working together. You don't have to start with an 8,000 name file. You can start off with your own family and learn how to enter the information in a non-intimidating way by downloading PAF. We will be able to accomplish more and what better way to work together than on the salvation of family members who have passed on and need our help? I have a testimony of this work and I know we are helped by family members on the other side. They anxiously wait for us to help them.

To those of you who are already working on family history and understand what I'm talking about, let's find a way to share information. Please add a comment to this post if you are interested.


I hope to hear from you!
Shauna

2 comments:

Shnopa said...

I am the author of this post. I am posting a comment so you know who you're contacting. When you post your comment I will receive it directly to my e-mail. Thank you for your interest.

Love,
Shauna

Naomi said...

I'm glad that you posted this message on the Cunningham Family History. I have family cards available for doing names at the temple. If you are interested in helping, please let me know so we can get names done faster.